kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Good choice, most kings make great 1st snakes...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]

Posted by hotshot on January 15, 2003 at 12:10:04:

In Reply to: Re: Starter Snake posted by Sairys on January 15, 2003 at 08:17:26:

and usually do quite well. About the corns seeming so small, any of the hatchlings are small, kings included. My sons hatchling cali king is lots smaller than my hatchling albino black rat. But will probably end up being thicker in adulthood. The good thing about kings is they are pretty aggressive feeders, and you hardly ever having to worry about them going off feed.

Here is a pic of my normal corn, he was 48" when this pic was taken and almost 2.5 yrs old. Probably average size.

Here is a pic of my California King - Bandit. He is a coastal phase, around 39" and the same age as my Corn snake.

He is also probably average size. Now if you want to see a truly huge california king, take a look at JimM's king! That is one huge cali, and it is nice!

Keep us posted on what you get and good luck!
Brian

:Thank you for everyones' advice, I plan to stick to my orginal choice and buy a kingsnake. I am thinking of buying either a Cal. kingsnake or an Eastern kingsnake, depending on what phases are available at the reptile show.

:I know the cornsnake is a perfect snake for beginners but they often seem too small in pictures, and the morphs I like are a bit pricy, and I prefer a snake that likes to be handled and coils around the handler's arm.

:I have already gathered a lot of information regarding kingsnakes, and know the basics of its care. I still love the pythons though...hopefully I'll only bring home one snake and not two.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]