kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Best to keep them just as they were when laid...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by dragonsbynature on May 18, 2003 at 19:59:36:

In Reply to: Best to keep them just as they were when laid... posted by DiG on May 18, 2003 at 19:24:16:

There are a lot of different opinions out there on this, but to add my thoughts and experience i agree with Dig. It is not necessary to dig out all of the eggs and candle each one and find the embryo and place it on top as long as you find the eggs and dig them out within hours of her laying them. I believe it is true that if you leave the eggs in there a long time (week) you would want to put them back in the same position. The reason for that is so the embryo does not suffocate and can get air-flow.

I've hatched out a lot of reptile eggs (dragons and pythons and kingsnakes) and i've always laid the eggs exactly at the angle i have found them in together and never had any problems with an almost 100% hatch success rate. Unless of course the eggs were duds when laid. But that's just my opinion :)

g'luck let us know how they do.

dBn

:I have only this first clutch worth of experience but what I was told is that the embryo develops at the bottom of the egg (determined by how the egg sits after laying) and the air pocket is at the top of the egg (again this settles in after the egg sits still upon laying). I was told the best advise is to lay the egg in the vermiculite in the same position you found it. Jackie Vandiver told me the only exception is if an egg is standing on end (like up against the glass) and if you are prompt after it is layed, you might gently set it down on its side when placing it in the vermiculite. I understand the reason for not moving it is that within minutes after laying the egg "insides" take their position and adhere to parts of the egg and to jostle that around would be deadly.

:Again, I am yet a novice but I must be doing okay because my first egg hatched this afternoon :)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]