kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Napa Valley Beardie Rescue! Read this...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by Grey_Owl on May 13, 2003 at 21:06:52:

My wife and I live in the Napa Valley. Last night around 9:30 I recieved a phone call from a farm worker who had found a large lizard running wild out in one of Napa's vinyards. They took it to PetCo. to see if they knew what kind of lizard it was. They ID'd the animal as a bearded Dragon. The people at petco gave my number to the farm workers.
The guy on the phone was asking if I wanted it. He said they might just kill it if they couldn't find a place for it. It was being kept in a Budweiser box out in the guys truck at this time of night. Anyway, my wife and I drove half an hour to Napa to pick it up. It was indeed an adult beardie--looks like a female. Poor thing is thin and who knows how long she's been out on her own cause she is very nervous and tries to bite. She had bits of dirt in her mouth, which I cleaned out. Right now she has a nice warm six foot long cage where she's calming down a bit. She's still quite nervous but she's eating. I offered her salad and superworms and she went straight to the worms so that is encouraging. I also gave her water.

Anyway, this little dragon must have either escaped her home, or somebody didn't want her so he/she let it go. Heheh, I was told that it scared one of the farm workers at first sighting. She screamed and ran away. Another worker grabbed the beardie and stuffed it in the budbox in which I recieved her. When I met with the workers to pick her up at 10pm at an empty gas station they were suprised when I handled her with ease and I told them all about the animal. Anyway she is at our home safe where she is recieving lots of care and love. Hopefully she'll make it okay. She'll take a trip to the vet, I hope she didn't break anything cause she is so light and the workers were prob. handling her rough as she wiggles and flailes and tries to bite, but Heres praying.
Thought I'd share.

Grey Owl

PS. Yes we do plan on finding her origanal owners. She may be someones beloved lost pet. And someone may be worried sick about her. If not, she couldn't have come to a better place.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]