kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

New cage setup with Pics =)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by ArtsyKitten on May 10, 2003 at 20:52:15:

In Reply to: New cage setup with Pics =) posted by Raymond Moreno on May 10, 2003 at 15:41:04:

Thanks for the suggestions =) Yes the light is UVB, a reptisun 5.0. although i need to get a new bulb soon, its almost been 6 months.. and i moved it so its more directly above where he basks, and its definately at the most 8 inches from it. as for the stability of the rock, it looked unstable to me too, and i seriously must have check it and moved it around 20 times because it still looked like it was going to fall right off of there, but it is surprisingly very stable. and i actually put the rocks in there so it WASNT so cluttered, the cage was pretty cluttered at first. its very bare and open now with the rocks. i have an entire pile of cage decor i took out of there to put the rocks in,lol. it seems like he has plenty of room, but i got to thinkin, i THINK he might have a stunted growth a little bit, but i am going to post a question about it above. =)

Thanks again!
Melissa

:Cool-looking cage!!

:But if I may, a few "suggestions".

:1) The basking rock doesn't look too solid. And by the size of your beardie, he looks like he might be able to topple it over onto himself. Just be careful about this, as it can maim, or even kill him if it falls on him.

:2) I noticed that you have a flourescent light fixture above the cage. Do you have a UVB emitting bulb in it? And secondly, you should try to make some type of basking log (or something), to allow him to get within 8" inces from it. My beardie basks (equally), under the basking light, as well as the flourescent lights.

:3) The rock slabs in his cage look really neat. (Very natural-looking). But as he grows bigger, you'll need to take some of the "clutter" out of there to give him room to stretch-out in. I know that the rocks are good for him to climb on and keep his nails short...but he also needs breathing room as he gets older. And this larger open space will (from what I hear), also enable him to grow larger, as he will not feel so cramped-up.

:Don't take this as DESTRUCTIVE criticism, cuz your cage looks "mauvelous, dahling". But take this as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism so that your beardie will be able to grow and bask in the most natural way - without any hinderences.

:Did I mention that your cage looks great?!!

:In Christ: Raymond

:...but :Yep, thats what it is. It dries up very quickly and i havent had any problems with humidity.

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]