kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

2 questions about feeding/eating

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by bexley on May 09, 2003 at 08:32:53:

In Reply to: 2 questions about feeding/eating posted by Jo_OscarsMom on May 09, 2003 at 07:35:52:

If your beardie is alert, moving, and not losing weight, don't worry he's fine. Maybe force feed a little less and try to kick start his eating with some greens or something, but he'll be ok as long as he's not listless or limp, and bones aren't showing. Sounds awful, but they are tough little guys and their desire to survive is pretty strong.

I feed my beardie Rep-Cal pellets and greens, and he's fat, healthy and has great colour... well, right now he's brumating (I miss his happy little face sooo much :( ). I'll give him waxworms once in a while as a treat, or if he looks mopey. This is what works for me, believe me I've posted it before and gotten flamed hugely, but there's others out there who swear by it too.

:Oscar's appetite had diminished so I had a fecal exam done which came back positive for hookworms and coccidia. She has been treated for both and I will have another fecal done soon to make sure the parasites are gone.

:Question #1: After almost 2 weeks, she still isn't eating. I force feed her some chicken babyfood mixed with good bacteria and occasionally, some calcium mixed in. I give her approx 2 droppers full per day or whatever she'll accept. I'm afraid she's going to starve. She looks completely healthy and hasn't lost any weight. She's still alert and active...What else can I do? Should I be worried?

:Question #2: I'm thinking about changing her diet to exclude all worms and crickets to avoid the whole parasite issue. Would a diet of ZooMed BD food and greens be sufficient? Since she's not eating anyway, I figure now's as good a time as any to make the switch.

:Thanks!!
:Jo aka Oscar's mom

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]