kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Zoomed UV bulbs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by gigaber on May 06, 2003 at 18:53:04:

In Reply to: Is the light too dim???...... posted by -ryan- on May 06, 2003 at 18:18:47:

:I just got a new basking lamp yesterday. The white zoomed one like I had before (for some reason it burned out in less than 6 monthes, but I like the bulbs, so I'll try again). But this time he gave me a 150 watt, since I have the little slider light dimmer thing to regulate temperatures. I have it in a dome fixture on a lamp stand hovering above the screen (I have to have it on the stand, because the bulb is so big it pokes out about an inch at the bottom of the fixture). So I have been trying to get the temperatures right since I used to have a 100 watt. With this new bulb I have to have it about 3 inches away from the top, and less than halfway turned up on the dimmer thing. So it is a little dimmer than the 100 watt, and still almost hotter. I also just realized that the probe on my thermometer is wrong (I think, I don't think the actual thermometer is wrong) so when I have the probe and the thermometer in the same place, the part for the probe reads about 125 degrees F, while the thermometer part reads like 112. This is at the hottest part in the tank, which isn't even the highest part of the tank, it's the part that the light is directly over.

:So, is it too dim or something?

:later

Those $80 bulbs have an incandescent part and a mercury vapor bulb with it's own balast. I don't think dimmers work on things like flouresent bulbs due to the gas discharge, so I'd be a little bit careful of using the dimmer in that circuit. The reason being is that you may be dimming the incandescent, but not the MV (source of all the short wave UV). In other words, you might be changing the spectral content of the light. If the light looks bluer as you dim it, that's probably the case.

You may want to contact one of the engineers over at Zoomed to find out for sure.

Chris

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]