kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

good sites

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]

Posted by Randy Remington on May 15, 2003 at 12:26:30:

In Reply to: good sites posted by animalmaniac on May 15, 2003 at 10:29:28:

I've linked the KingSnake page on Ball Pythons below in case you haven't seen it yet. I'm sure there are lots of other good info pages, books, and videos out there.

I commend you for wanting to captive breed normals for the pet stores since probably 90% of what they sell is captive hatched wild bred balls brought in from Africa (although many stores claim not to know this). However, you should know that you will have a hard row to hoe due to the thousands imported ever year sold for as little as $9.

Apparently you are not fundamentally opposed to morphs so I suggest at least picking up a male het or possible het for your favorite morph and then if you like any of the daughters and decide to keep them as replacement females at least you will eventually have a chance of producing something with a selling edge over normal. Or maybe get a pastel male if you can find one in your price range and produce half pastel’s for the pet stores.

Also, I believe you may be thinking of the yellow striped types which are from time to time cherry picked from big shipments of imports and offered for a few hundred $. I don't think any of these have yet proved to be genetic mutations that can be reproduced reliably. There is a much less uncommon genetic stripe mutation which is simple recessive but it's still pretty pricey.

Good luck!

:Hey everyone,
: I'm interested in starting to breed normal and possibly striped (or some other common mutation) to sell to pet stores and at a reptile show here in KY. Could you recommend some good sites for this that would lay everything out on the table for me? I'd really appreciate it.

: Taylor

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]