kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

A couple of questions for you >>>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]

Posted by poetichusky on May 09, 2003 at 01:54:57:

In Reply to: A couple of questions for you >>> posted by jfmoore on May 08, 2003 at 17:26:17:

Hey Joan,
Sorry that I snapped, I really didn't mean to offend you or anyone on this forum. I also didn't want to come off as a jerk, which I have succeeded at doing, now that I reread my post. You are right though, I must agree with you now.

"you are left with a considerably thinner, but still 64” snake in a 24” box"

To tell you the truth, I really didn't think about it that way and I'm sorry for posting so quick. I just didn't think it was fair pic, because she is gravid. 64" is still larger than most Balls, I would think, considering that the largest Ball ever recorded hovered only 1-2" above 6 foot, which is only 9 to 10" larger than yours. I'm not an expert, but from what I read, the typical adult Ball is about 4 foot, with males being slightly smaller and females being slightly larger. Then again, I don't know from experience.
For fun though, I did find Ball Python care sheets on two highly regarded breeders' sites. The first is right off of NERD's web site, and I quote, "SIZE & LIFE SPAN: Lengths of 4-6', a 5' animal is considered large." Which would mean perhaps a 4 to 4 and a half foot(approximately 48 to 54 inches) animal is typical, right?
The next care sheet was from ProExotics Ball Python care sheet. They quote in size that, "They reach only 3-4 ft. as adults (typically)." Which is even smaller.
I really didn't intend to argue or start a problem, but I had to find a couple references. Like I said, I'm no expert and I really think you are right also. I wouldn't keep my snake cramped up like that. I wasn't condoning the use of a 24" enclosure, just expressing that in my opinion, it was an unfair pic. I did also mention in my previous post, in the end, that it really comes down to the individual snake itself. Please, I hope no one keeps an adult Ball in a 24" enclosure. Sorry if I offended you, Joan. I really am being sincere, as I love this forum and the people(including yourself) on it. :)
-Cathy
If you really wanna check out the care sheets, here are the addies:
http://www.newenglandreptile.com/CareInfo/CareBALL.html

http://www.proexotics.com/care_balls.html

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]