kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Wanting A Ball Python

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]

Posted by Sonya on May 03, 2003 at 08:52:48:

In Reply to: Wanting A Ball Python posted by jtatarin on May 03, 2003 at 01:20:59:

>>But the thing is I don't have the heart to feed it live prey. I would get it if I could gaurantee it would eat no prob on prekilled frozen/thawed prey. Do you think it would being so young and captive born? I would only buy it if I was positive it would eat prekilled food. Is it hard to swith over? Also, since it is a hatchling I would put it in a 10 gal JUST FOR NOW. What kind of heating would you recommend. Under tank heating mats if so which one. And would you use a thermostat is that recommended? Also, is a 90 degree basking spot that important. What temps should It like best...<<

First, a BP is likely to be one of the worse snakes to get if you are against killing a mouse or feeding live. I say this only because of all the snakes I have the BPs are the ones that are require the most 'fussing' with their prey. If you are totally against the killing rodents thing than I honestly think you will be unhappy with a snake at all. I had a friend who thought he would be okay with it and then his snake moved up to rats and he was totally freaked and got rid of the snake. At some point the snake may need to be reminded how to eat or whatever and that means you feed prekilled instead of frozen thawed and whatnot. It depends on how uncomfortable you are with it.
As to heat. I would put a baby in a 15X15X6 inch sweater box with drilled holes in the top and sides, water bowl, hide and heat pad on a rheostat or dimmer switch under an end set at 95 surface temp. See where he sits most and put the hide near it. The box will give more sense of security, more humidity and cost less than half the tank and lid. Is way easier to clean and move around.
Just thoughts
Sonya

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]