kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Oz Press: Man injured in crocodile attack

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Forum Asia ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wes von Papineäu on November 21, 2000 at 06:48:38:

THE AGE (Melbourne, Australia) 20 November 00 Man injured in crocodile attack
Perth (AAP): A fisherman has survived an attack by a crocodile which leapt a metre out of the water to bite his neck and shoulder as he sat in a boat.
The attack occurred at the weekend as 34-year-old Norman Stanley was fishing with two friends in a five metre boat at the mouth of Cambridge Gulf in Western Australia's remote Kimberley region.
Department of Conservation and Land Management (CALM) wildlife officer Ben Tannoch said the three-metre long crocodile leapt about a metre out of the water to attack Mr Stanley as he was trying to reel in a fish.
Mr Stanley was bitten on the neck and shoulder and was later treated at Kununurra Hospital for flesh wounds.
The injured man said the attack happened so quickly his fishing companions did not see it.
'I went down and it got me on the right hand shoulder and I kept going down,' Mr Stanley told ABC radio.
'I went for the floor of the boat. When I got past the gunnel it broke its grip.'
Mr Tannoch said crocodiles were particularly dangerous at this time of the year because breeding season was about to begin.
'They can become particularly aggressive in breeding season, although it's still unusual for them to leap out of the water to attack,' he said.
He said the area was known to have a significant population of saltwater crocodiles.
CALM officers and staff from the Wyndham crocodile farm would visit the area tomorrow and try to harpoon the animal involved in the attack.
'We're hoping to take it back to the crocodile farm where it can be used in breeding programs,' Mr Tannoch said.
He said killing the crocodile was not an option.
'It's in its natural habitat, where there is a significant population of them anyway, so I don't think we'd consider killing it,' he said.
http://www.theage.com.au/breaking/0011/20/A64135-2000Nov20.shtml

AFP 20 November 00 Man survives crocodile attack in Australia
Perth, Australia (AFP): A fisherman described Monday how a crocodile lunged out of the water and latched onto his shoulder as he sat in a boat in the isolated far north of Western Australia.
Norman Stanley told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation he was fishing in a river north of the port of Wyndham when the reptile -- more than two metres (6 feet) long -- reared out of the water and bit him.
He needed stitches for gashes around his left shoulder, the national broadcaster reported.
Stanley said he and three fishing companions were trapped by a violent storm immediately after the attack and forced to stay in the bush all night before they could return to the remote town of Kununnurra for help.
Stanley said the attack happened so quickly his companions did not see the crocodile, thinking the commotion was the sound of him landing a big catch.
"It came straight out of the water," Stanley said Monday. "I ducked and it got me on the shoulder. I kept going down to the floor of the boat. When I got past the gunwhales, it broke its grip."
http://asia.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/asia/article.html?s=asia/headlines/001120/asia/afp/Man_survives_crocodile_attack_in_Australia.html

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Forum Asia ] [ FAQ ]