kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

How'd U get the kids to eat their "Brussel Sprouts" worms?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by Slaytonp on May 07, 2003 at 21:59:56:

In Reply to: How'd U get the kids to eat their posted by Slaytonp on May 07, 2003 at 20:04:20:

::No one else has come up with an answer so far, and I don't have one either about adult frogs, because they are stimulated by the movement of their prey and recognition from this. (See the claim that someone's tincs are relishing dead Petco reptile flies--a first, so perhaps it's not impossible, just improbable.) I think the chopped blood worms are meant to be for tadpole supplement, not adult frogs. Perhaps some advanced hobbyists have used them for "force-feeding" new frogs that are reluctant about eating-- I remember reading something on this awhile back. But why not stick with fruit flies, springtails, pinhead crickets, meadow plankton and the various live worms and larvae they will take and which have been discussed ad nauseum throughout this forum? When dusted with vitamins, they do perfectly well on fruit flies alone, although a variety is better, even if it's only to satisfy our own taste for variety, not necessarily the frogs'. A lot of our opinions are more subjective than objective controlled experiments, but subjective still counts, and often works better.

:Patty

:I misread- you are using "live" blood worms. If they don't like them, the same thing as above applies. Feed them what they like to eat, don't bother with what they don't like. If I were a captive critter and I were offered only beets and liver, I'd probably starve to death before I ate them, even though both would be considered good nourishment for me, or at least that's what my parents told me when I was their captive critter. They finally gave up on beets and liver. My dad hated liver and my mom hated beets, but they served them anyway? What was the point?

Patty
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]