kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

ahhh! Search the forum. your questions have been answered

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by Drista on May 03, 2003 at 09:07:06:

In Reply to: Newbie to dart frogs.... posted by audiotaylor on May 03, 2003 at 04:37:22:

:Hey Ben,

:Not sure about the whiteworms, I stick to pinheads and fruitflies mainly. Hopefully someone else here will know.

:Dart frogs arent as seceptable to calcium deficiancy as other herps, but it is a possibility. I use both Repcal and Herptivite for my darts and mantellas and they seem to do very well on them.

:The eggcrate is used to create a "false bottom" for water to be collected and possibly re-circulated to create water features. False bottoms are necissary to keep substrate from becoming waterlogged unless you dont water very often. Another common method used to keep substrate dry is to place a layer of large gravel pieces on the bottom. You might also want to include a syphoning tube for easy water removal.

:I use live moss in my vivariums with increasingly better results. I had to practice a lot to get it to stay green for more than a month. It usually requires very intense light by means of a metal halide or power compact fluorescent fixture and distilled water. Ive used lots of different kinds but have had the best luck with pillow moss. Oh, I almost forgot, Selaginella works VERY well as a mossy ground cover. It is easier to care for and does a good job of hugging the ground, unlike other creeping "ground covers" that seem to avoid the ground. There are severaly forms of this plant usually avaliable at most online tropical plant stores.

:The egg thing is easier than it sounds. If you can, get a hold of some java moss and place a clump in a petri dish or similar. Fill the dish with RO (reverse osmosis), rain, or treated tap water untill the moss is almost covered. Then simply place the clutch (term used to describe a group of frog eggs) on the exposed moss area. An alternitave to the java moss is a piece of paper towel, but the moss works much better because the tads can eat it when they are done devouring their egg sacs *yumm* :-)

:I hope all this info helps you get started to this incredible hobby!
:-David Taylor
:Ah the life of a frog, thats the life for me-Bart Simpson
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]