mobile - desktop
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
News & Events:
Posted by Homer1 on April 29, 2003 at 13:25:41:
In Reply to: Fungus growing in my cultures. posted by addam4208283 on April 29, 2003 at 12:02:52:
I have used moldy cultures to start new cultures with no ill effects. Just use a 1:1 mixture of water and distilled white vinegar as your wet mixture in your new setups, and you should not have any more problems with mold. I also boil my water prior to mixing it with the vinegar, so that the culture medium is very warm when the active yeast granules are sprinkled on. This gives the yeast a head start since it reproduces more quickly in a warm environment. I just wait about 10 minutes before adding the flies.
The black mold Patty spoke of is most likely Aspergillus niger, one of the most allergenic molds that is commonly found in North American households (which, by the way, I'll bet many of you have on the underside of your toilet tank). I would agree that if you have this on your cultures, I would throw them out and start over . . . wiping everything in the area with a dilute solution of bleach (and soaking your culture vials with it if you reuse them).
Otherwise, if you just have the white or blue mold (usually a form of penicillium), you should be ok. However, if you're worried, it wouldn't hurt to start over.
:I just wanted to know whether or not I could still use a culture that had some fungus growing in it?
:Also what can I use to stop it from growing again. I thought the vinegar was supposed to stop it but I am not sure?
:thanks in advance.