kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Pumilio

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by rayesreptiles on April 26, 2003 at 18:04:51:

In Reply to: Pumilio posted by mve on April 26, 2003 at 14:34:31:

:i believe most blue jeans are wild caught. i think pumilio.com are as well. i have blue jeans and I have had no luck to get them to breed. my solid greens breed very good.

There are a couple reasons there aren't many around... 1) most are WCs from an import a couple years ago 2)people are having problems breeding them 3)most of these frogs landed in the wrong hands in the first place. Actually, all these reasons are pretty much related.

Pretty much every blue jean I've run across, with the exception of a handful, have come from a shipment a couple years ago, a HUGE amount were imported in a mass shipment, and the frogs sold for about $25 ea. That caused major problems as they were cheaper than even auratus at the time, so just about anyone who wanted a dart frog could afford one... hell I bought 6 for the price I would pay today for one. Many of these people did not know how to take care of healthy pumilio, much less fresh imports, so only a few, in the dozens, probibly survived that import that is estimated to be in the hundreds to even thousands of animals. A sad fact, all too true. So few of these animals remain, few breeders who have the experience to really "mass breed" these (as much as any breeder can mass breed a pumilio) and get them out in the hobby have them.

General rule of herps is that WCs are harder to breed than CBs, which makes these tricky to breed animals even trickier to breed. I would say that what works for panamanian pumilio (like blue, green, bastimentos, etc) very easily may not work for the blue jeans, and I tend to treat the panamanian pumilio I work with now different from the blue jeans I successfully cared for years ago (and am currently kicking myself for having to sell them for college). Since I did have pretty good success with them and would be willing to share my ideas for breeding these guys for those who are having trouble with them, especially if it means I can get on your list for offspring ;)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]