kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

8 watts??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by Homer1 on April 25, 2003 at 08:43:25:

In Reply to: 8 watts?? posted by Randy27 on April 25, 2003 at 00:49:47:

Nice snag. I, too, used to have a tank like that with probably the same hood. It was a pain in the rear to find bulbs for (I lived in rural Indiana, and there was no Internet at the time). I also couldn't get anything but java moss to grow in the terrarium because the light was so weak, but is was a neat little tank for small killifish.

You might want to try retrofitting the hood for some 13 watt compact fluorescents. Two in your hood will put out quite a bit of light. http://www.konza.ksu.edu/~blbrock/ has a nice DIY section on how to do that, and gives links on where to buy the supplies CHEAP. I bought a bunch of these lights at Wal-Mart on clearance for $1, and plan on doing this soon.

Good luck,

Homer

:I just got a nice 10 gallon hexagon aquarium in superb condition with a stand and light fixture for $10 at a garage sale. But the bulb is a whopping 8 watts! It's a 12", and I couldn't find any bulbs small enough for it that had a higher wattage. Are there any bulbs out there that are 12" and higher than 8 watts?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]