kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Starter frog...Azureus or imitator?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by Slaytonp on April 23, 2003 at 19:49:56:

In Reply to: Starter frog...Azureus or imitator? posted by kyle1745 on April 23, 2003 at 11:31:16:

:I'm no expert, but if I had to guess I would say Azureus would be a little better just based on size. If you would get into a bind with food you can feed the Azureus smal crickets, where I think the imitator would be too small.

:I just got my first 2 Azureus (from: www.saurian.net), and they are great. They are the whole reason I got started in this hobby, though I plan to get some imitators also.

:Kyle

:
:: I have been researching dart frogs for a month now and I am interested in getting an Azureus or an imitator. I was wondering which was easier to feed, breed, house, and their difference in behavior. And Azureas should only be kept inpairs where with imitators you can house in breeding groups right? Any help is great and also any pictures of enclosures would be great. Thanks,
:: Paul

:On the other hand, the imitators can consume much larger food than they appear to be able to do. When my first tad turned into a froglet and took his first hop out of his axil womb, I worried about this, because I had simply allowed his parents to take care and feed him in the bromeliad leaf. I had no springtails, only medium sized fruit flies, no field plankton, as he emerged on the "scene" in January, which is 30 below zero here outdoors and hundreds of miles from nowhere. I didn't worry for long. He immediately captured a fruit fly and after a bit of a fight and a few pawings at his mouth, consumed it. He's quite a "big" guy now, already beginning to call and compete, and several other tads are coming along-- more than I'd bargained for, already becoming too populous for their original 30 gallon terrarium of four-- two males and two female froglets just seven months ago. What imitators lack in size, they make up for in ingenuity and athletic appetites. I often wonder why there is usually a "waiting list" for them.

On the another paw, I don't have any Azureus yet and am covetous. Just don't let the imitator size inhibit your choice. As for breeding, they are the mice among elephants. Patty

:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]