kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

More lighting questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by archie on April 22, 2003 at 14:07:17:

In Reply to: More lighting questions posted by Homer1 on April 22, 2003 at 10:55:57:

I have to agree with you on the light... I have one of these also and they are very nice. Very bright, white light with a good kelvin rating, and you can't beat the price. I have heard that lights of america does not use the best ballasts, but so far, I have had my my light running about 12 hours a day for 4 to 5 months with no problem (not over a tank, but over some other plants).

Click on the link below to see what light we are talking about.

DAve
:A.J. Calisi gave me this tip about six months ago when I was in your situation:

:Lights Of America model 6065. Comes with a full spectrum 6500K
:fluorescent and cranks out 8255 lumens while consuming only 65 watts of power. At 13" x 8" it doesn't take up much space either. We paid about $25.00 at Wal-Mart. Check it out if you can. It was originally intended as a work light but is easily adapted to aquariums and vivariums. We had some mini orchids bloom for the first time in a vivarium under these lights.

:He runs T&C terrariums (www.fantasticfrogs.com), and sells a variety of plants, so I'd bet he knows his stuff. Check out his pics--they're some of the best on the 'net (in my opinion). That's one possibility.

:Homer
::Thats a good point. I have not tried the ones from walmart I will have to look when I am there next time.

::Kyle

::
:::Yes, any flourescent fixture will work, although you might want to check with sales clerck to make sure that the fixture works with a timer (assuming you want to use a timer). Some fixtues need to be manually started and will not work with a timer.

:::A couple of other things for you to think about, though. What are you going to covering the tank with? Glass, plexi, screen? I ask because if you use glass or normal plexi, I would not spend the extra money to get a UVB producing bulb (such as the repti-glo) becuase most of it will be filtered out by the glass or Plexi. I would just use a bulb with a high Kelvin rating, such as the bulbs that come in the orange box at Walmart (sorry I can't remember the name at the moment.)

:::Also, you can find 36" fixture and bulbs, but they are kind of a less used length, so they are harder to find and usually a good deal more expensive. If I were you I would probably get 2 or 3 or 4 24" fixtures and bulbs and stagger them in the canpoy you build.

:::Dave

:::
::::so i can just buy any find of normal flourecent light fixture and put in the correct Repti Glo bulb and its ready to be used?

::::i plan on making a canopy for my tank and mounting the light above it.

::::another question. i see the longest repti glo bulb is 24" in. my tank is going to be 36" in.
::::Should i just mount 1 24" inch light strip in the middle? or find 2 smaller light strips and mount them side by side? (which i cannot find on lowes' website the samllest is 24" in).

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]