kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: First gray-band...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alterna Forum ]

Posted by peregrinefalcon on December 28, 2002 at 13:19:18:

In Reply to: Re: First gray-band... posted by vadoni on December 27, 2002 at 21:01:36:

Thanks, but I wasn't worried about the snake biting me, I was worried more about it escaping. I guess by your reply that they aren't extremely fast-moving snakes. Thats all I was wondering.

:Adam-
: I use about an inch of aspen. L. alterna are usually relatively good for handling. Just remember that a bite is nothing serious and if it happens shrug it off. Brumation/Hibernation is not essential. But if your alterna goes off feed don't freek out.....he might just go through a brumation on his own.

:Good Luck

:Vadoni
::Thanks for your reply Vadoni. I just have a few more questions. How many inches deep should the aspen bedding be? Are alterna fairly easily handled and do you have any tips on handling them? I also saw you mentioned hibernation(brumation?), is it essential that they do this?

::Thanks again,

::Adam

::
:::Adam-
::: In my humble opinion you should just buy a sweater box. Use aspen shavings, a water bowl, and a snug hiding place. Put a heating pad beneath to give a hot spot of 80-85F. Simple is usually better, easier to clean.
::: If you are trying to exhibit this animal for people to admire, it is tough. This species is fossorial(almost always underground or deep in rocks) and nocturnal.
::: The moist hiding place for shedding is unnecesary. They are essentially a desert animal and a misting when you notice he is blue is more than enough.
::: I would recommend keeping him a little on the thin side. If you have ever caught one or seen one someone has just collected. That is what you are going for! I feed every 2 weeks a mouse. Keep an eye on his body weight and if needed you can always feed every week or give him a month or two off. Besides this gives you more time to handle the snake as it only takes 3-5 days for them to digest a meal:)
::: I think a GB will do well in your set up...although i would keep the hot spot at 85F and the low around 75F(other than hibernation)

:::
:::Good Luck These are GREAT SNAKES

:::vadoni
:::www.brookesia.com

::::Hi,

::::I am probably going to get a male 16 inch blairs gray-banded kingsnake within the month. This will be technically be my first snake, although I work with snakes alot at the pet store and help my brother with his maritime garter. Anyway, can you tell me if there is anything wrong with how I am going to set-up the tank:
::::-35 gallon tank with secure top
::::-aspen bedding
::::-some rocks and branches
::::-a large water dish
::::-2 hiding places, with one moist when he's shedding
::::-a temperature of around 80 on the warm side and around 70 on the cool side (heating pad)
::::I will feed him a hopper mouse every week and handle him whenever he isn't digesting his last meal. Does this sound good? All help will be appreciated, thanks!

::::Adam Webster

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alterna Forum ]