kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Hey Tank Thanks for the info n/m

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alterna Forum ]

Posted by Doug Beckwith on November 28, 2002 at 15:08:05:

In Reply to: Re: Hey Tank posted by tanks on November 28, 2002 at 11:31:48:

:I would get a 10,000 btu or larger, you can get by with a smaller unit but it nay have tendencies to freeze up if it has to run to long

:::is it a room of your house or seperate building?
:::How many exterior walls?
:::slab or pier & beam foundation?
:::i will take some pics this week

::Tank,

::It is a room of my house w/ 1 exterior wall on a pier & beam foundation.
::DB

::

:::::Simple a/c solution, i can get a window unit to cool a room to about 45 or by mixing in some r22 i can get it down to about 30 degrees. Take the unit apart, UNPLUGGED of course. Pull the thermostate out completetly remove the thin cover over the thermostate, sometimes there are some bend tabs take a pair of pliers & carefully unbend them (you will have to bend them back to put it back together) here you will see a spring with a plate (the contacts) on the plate there will be a little screw with an arrow pointing a direction turn the screw all the way. Now you have to go to home depot & get a programable digital window unit thermostate (hunter makes one) set it at the desiered temp & plug your window unit into it & if you sized your window unit right it will hold that temp. I live in south texas & i can hang meat in my snake building.

:::::If you have a newer digital thermostate with a pc board or someother type you can still do this, take & cut the wires off of the board ensure you have the hot & common connected together, if it is a 220 type rather than 110 you might have 2 hots & 2 commons hook one leg of the 220 to the common & the other leg of the 220 to the other common. Use a good heavy duty wire nut to secure the wires (due to the heat created by the amp draw) now carefull tuck the wires back in the unit & plug into the digital thermostate (i think they make a 220 model just like the 110)

:::::make sure you have the digital programable thermostate if not the unit will run none stop & ice up, when pushing the unit to cool to this temps you must keep the filter very clean or it will ice up.

:::::I have been using an a/c unit like this for 10 years with great success & have showed others how to do it. I have a new window unit im getting ready to do this to, if you need some pics to understand maybe i will take some to post.

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alterna Forum ]