kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

We're on the same page

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alterna Forum ]

Posted by trey on October 24, 2002 at 20:19:56:

In Reply to: Re: Point still stands... posted by Robert Haase on October 24, 2002 at 18:59:16:

Hope it is successful!

I guess I'm not sure how to evaluate such efforts. Still seems like triage...too little too late. If we could somehow effectively mobilize efforts to prevent losses of biodiversity. Instead of being proactive, we're reactive. (When I say "we", I mean society / corporate/gov't. cogs that run the show) Maybe part of the problem is the single-species approach. While ESA and CITES are still powerful weapons against species loss, they don't come close to ebbing the tide. Preaching to the choir here, but habitat, habitat, habitat. Several NGO's, including Nature Cons. and WCS have been very successful.

I still stand by the idea that captive-bred locality-based lineages are moot when it comes to conservation application. Thick-billed parrots? Hasn't worked yet. Doesn't stop logging.

Successful resuscitations I overlooked? I forgot about the Chiricahua leopard frog tank construction by the Magoffins/captive rearing at Douglas High School as a success story. Spouse is heavily involved with Peltophryne lemur, and it's been fairly successful. Wyoming toad and Cyclura OTOH are doomed.

:Well...we're going to find out with the southern red-legged frog (Rana aurora draytoni) soon. Hopefully it will work at least as sucessfully as the peregrine and aplomado projects...it's better than simply writing off an entire population (or species) because it gets in the way of economic interests or suffers from past human error. Certainly you'll agree with that, even though your argument is a good one is some aspects.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alterna Forum ]