kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: cooling snakes ? this forum normally takes a ...oops

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alterna Forum ]

Posted by mchambers on October 11, 2002 at 10:14:01:

In Reply to: Re: cooling down snakes ? posted by solace101 on October 10, 2002 at 22:01:17:

vacation this time of year so it may be hard to get an answer on your post. I'm no expert but this has worked for me on any colubrid: photo period is adjusted by timing exposer to light to no light at all in cage or the darkening of the cage itself by covering up the cage. I have not done extensive cooling of my snakes during winter months due to the fluctuation of our temps of my area. Some breeders swear by cooling, others like me, go with a lower temp but pay more attention to the photo periods. The fridge is probably not the best way to go because like the othet poster stated, you can downright suffocate the snakes or possibly to cool. Some people go with the 55 degree theory. I have NEVER been able to do this. I have a median temp. of 60 to 65 degrees and lights out. I have done this for 30 years and still have success with breeding. I would look up the John Hollister sight on the winter temps of alterna in the wild in their estivation/hibernation pockets in the wild. At least I think he is one of the ones that has done this.

Mike ( Chambo ) Chambers

:Where I live I usually have a couple of months of variant temps of 55-65 degrees outdoors. I usually house my snakes in a shed outside to cool them. However I like to cool at 60 degrees so I jerry-rig a space heater to a thermostat. I go through this trouble only because I live in an apartment so I need to make the best use of my outdoor starage area. I've read that it is possible to cool in the fridge but you must keep opening the door so the snakes can get air. I imagine you can only cool one pair at a time in there. Best of luck!

:Kay

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alterna Forum ]