kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Is this an alligator lizard?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Nathan619 on July 31, 2002 at 18:26:18:

In Reply to: Is this an alligator lizard? posted by nate351 on July 29, 2002 at 23:00:02:

:Hey everyone.
:I was just camping last week outside of Vancouver, WA and playing with my youngest siblings (ages 5 and 8). As we walked along a sunny shore of a lake, I saw and caught the largest garter snake I have ever seen. I made a big fuss over running down and catching it up just like Steve Irwin (I was even in Khaki shorts), and then came back and gave a narration to the kids, teaching them aboutthe snake. As soon as I let it go, the little boy spotted a small lizard which I quickly and theatrically caught as well.

:My question is that I identified it as an aligator lizard, and I have ever since been questioning that diagnosis. I rarely see lizards in the NW and the only ones I have were aligator lizards. This lizard, however, had a tail about as long as it's body, and had slightly keeled scales. It's limbs were not short and stubby, and it didn't 'slither' as much as other aligator lizards I have seen. However, it did resemble one (the head was especially aligator-like). My second thought, after proclaiming it an aligator) was that it looked almost like an iguanid. Alligators look more like skinks, right? It was perhaps 6-7 inches STL. Any ideas?

:Thanks,
:nate.

How fast was it? Did it bare any patterns? If the tail was a little longer it could've been a whiptail a little out of it's home range. The keeled scales make me want to say a Western Fence though. I have tons of closeups of western fence lizards, alligator Lizards, and others if you want I can send you some.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator Lizard Forum ]