kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: How Do You Catch Alligator Lizards?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Electric Jack on July 14, 2002 at 22:40:03:

In Reply to: Re: How Do You Catch Alligator Lizards? posted by Don Kellar on July 14, 2002 at 15:52:43:

: : I see so many alligator lizards near my house everday on my way from school. I used to have two that my older brother caught for me. How would you catch them. I have trouble trying to cath them. They are too fast. Do I creep up on them? Do I run after them?
: : -HMax_72
: Max, Wild reptiles should be left in the wild. You should purchase a captive bred specimen. the benifits are many: captive bred reptiles are healthier, less aggressive, and better acclimated to captivity. Plus, the wild populations are preserved. I have 35 snakes; all purchased from breeders.

Don, If only it were that simple. I live in washington. It is illegal to buy ones from here sold here. Because of such laws in certain states which can become quite confusing, it makes alligator lizards not a primary specimen of choice to sell. I can barely find information on the net, let alone a place to purchase them.
I also prefer to have one from here. And for anyone who lives in washington, even though these are very common lizards here, if you ask anyone from any petshop for even information, they look at ya as if you made it up or as if it were a type of lizard from the other side of the world. So rather than trying to find a breeder, it is just easier to catch them in the wild. Majority of the people on this board caught theirs in the wild.

Max, My advice to you is this, It may very easily differ from area to area depending upon where you live, but for here in washington, early spring months, it can be quite difficult to catch them because they like to hang close to their holes. This is probably because here, the spring months can still be pretty cold. They begin to venture farther away in the summer months and to catch them, well ya just got to be fast enough. My lizard obviously was most likely attacked by a bird. He is missing his front right foot and half of 2 toes on his back right and missing a tail. Yet he was just as fast as any AL I have seen in my life. Just gotta be quicker than them.

>EJ<

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator Lizard Forum ]