kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: any snakes to see in botswana this time of year?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ HerpForum - Africa ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on July 07, 2000 at 18:57:12:

In Reply to: any snakes to see in botswana this time of year? posted by jay on July 07, 2000 at 13:35:49:

Jay,

I just got back from a month in Botswana and saw quite a few herps (for the winter). The daytime highs were in the 80s and the nightime lows were in the 40s and sometimes the 30s. Species seen included:
Puff Adders (common on the roads, even some after dark - saw a lot of roadkills)
Common Night Adder (swimming in the Okavango marsh)
Mole Snakes (Pseudaspis - 3 DORs seen just over the border near Vic. Falls, Zimbabwe).
Psammophis sp. - darting off sandy roads
Ornate Bush Snake - along Zambezi river (Zambezi NP in Zimbabwe near the BOT border).
Rufous Beaked Snake - DOR north of Maun

Other herps
Painted Reed Frogs - on reeds in the Okavango
African Clawed Frogs
Bufo species
Day Geckos (buildings in the day)
Chameleo dilepis!!! (very cool!)
Agama sp.
Bibron's Gecko (buildings at night)
Nile Monitors - basking on Zambezi river bank
Nile Crocs - sunning along rivers
Leopard Tortoises (Moremi and Chobe NP)

All of this was seen without really herping. I am sure you could see a lot more if you tried.
We saw lots of other DORs that we did not stop for (I was travelling with a caravan of three cars which precluded stopping for every roadkill).

BTW, if you are staying in the National Parks, be aware that the NPs in Botswana have raised their rates significantly in the last few months. It costs around US$25 per day to camp in the parks (and if you only camp one night, you have to pay both days = $50!). Also, be aware that many of the roads are sand roads that require 4WD.

Have a great trip in this incredible country.

Need more info, email me. My email address is
XXXXsandboaYYYYY@ZZZZZtcainternet.AAAAcom (eliminate all the capital letter).

Chris

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ HerpForum - Africa ] [ FAQ ]