return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: 7 subpecies of nile monitor?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ HerpForum - Africa ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gerben on March 29, 2000 at 03:37:27:

In Reply to: 7 subpecies of nile monitor? posted by Nick Galentin on March 28, 2000 at 10:38:16:

: I heard that people in the UK recognize more than half a dozen species of nile monitor. Has anyone ever heard anything like this or have any information? thanks

Nick I know of 2 species of Nile monitors.
It is the Varanus niloticus niloticus
and Varanus niloticus ornatus

The last one is know recognised as a full specie.
It is very likly that they are talking about
Varanus exanthematicus, they have different colouration and markings
and are usualy mistaken with the whit-throated monitor (Varanus albigularis)
They have 3 regognised subspecies V. a. albigularis, V. a. congolensis and V. a. microstictus.
But as you may know monitors are changed frequently. And the last 2 years they have found as I can
recall about 3 - 5 new species. V. melinus, V. aufenbergii, V. yuwonensis, V. iriwadicus and some
are found in Australia. All new monitors are found in Asia and Australia. This due the secretive lives
of monitors and that some Island harber more species. And that a lot of islands are not found yet by trappers.
The most new species where found with the big forest fires in Indonesia. This was the reason for them
To go and trap animals on other island and places. This let to new discoveries. For V.melinus the Indonesian government
issued a small quota because when there was No quota the animals where ofer exploited and this endangered them even more.

But I am talking about Asian Monitor but your question was about Nile monitors.
I can understand that there are different specimens with all differend markings.
To find a new species the anatomie (Bones/skeleton etc.) has to be investicated.
As this is different you can talk about a new specie or subspecie.
But to know it for sure you have to know the localatie where the animals was caught.
I think there will be different "subspecies" but 7 is to much.

Varanus salvator has 7 subspecies but this water monitor lives in Asia!!
I hope I helped you with your question.
Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ HerpForum - Africa ] [ FAQ ]