kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Confused about UVB! (long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Academic Forum ]

Posted by JLD on August 22, 2002 at 13:46:33:

In Reply to: Confused about UVB! (long) posted by Mic on August 07, 2002 at 09:54:28:

The BEST answer I can give you is to have you do some of your own research. Invest the few hundred dollars in a radiometer, I think you will be surprised as to what you find out about the bulbs! I can provide you with anecdotal information backed with some scientific study but I truely feel the best information you can get is that which you collect yourself.

To add a little more confusion to your lot, it's not just dependant on the wattage of the bulb and the percentage of UV, it also has EVERYTHING to do with the distance of the bulb from the target (which in this case is an animal). I noticed that you referred to the Reptisun 5.0 as having 5% UV. The more inportant question that you should is ask is, 5% of what? David Krughoff, Boston University and Phillips Lighting have all done some amazing tests. Tests that for the most part you can duplicate in your own back yard.

Should you decide to do your own testing, you will find that UV measurements vary from bulb to bulb, regardless of the wattage. I can take 2 brand new Reptisun 5.0 bulbs right from the box and get completely different readings from them. I have also found the same to be true of ActiveUv bulbs, Powersun bulbs and other floresent.

Despite what ANYONE will tell you, UVB is necessary for diurnal reptiles period end of it. Whether that UVB comes from natural sunlight or a bulb, these animals require it to truely thrive.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Academic Forum ]