kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Anyone familiar with VIEs?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Academic Forum ]

Posted by pj on October 17, 2001 at 15:27:34:

In Reply to: Anyone familiar with VIEs? posted by Colchicine on October 14, 2001 at 10:55:05:

A friend used vies on R. clamitans (presented at SSAR) without success. It seems the dye moved around beneath the skin which made it difficult to relocate. his study was behavioral, so he tried to avoid excessive handling of the animals. this may not be a problem for you.

:

: I will soon begin my masters thesis work on the species composition and richness, diversity and habitat use of amphibians in some mitigated wetlands. My study will involve mark and recapture using all the standard amphibian monitoring techniques including funnel & pitfall traps with and without drift fences, artificial cover objects, dipnetting, seine netting, frog call surveys and opportunistic sampling.

: The literature available has convinced me that using visual implant elastomers is the safest way to mark amphibians. This involves injecting a biocompatible elastomer just under the skin of the ventral surface. A UV light is then used to illuminate the markings whose color and position on the body is specific to a code that allows you to track the animal.

: I have already reviewed articles by T. M. Davis and K. Ovaska (2001), S. Nauwelaerts, J. Coeck, and P. Aerts (2000), and M. Schlaepfer (1998). I was curious if anyone knew of more literature on this technique, as well as more details and tips to make it more effective and to keep the elastomer from polymerizing in the field. Also, if someone could explain the units Northwest Marine puts the VIE in ($240/4000?) that would be great. Basically, any pertinent information regarding VIEs would be appreciated!

: http://www.nmt-inc.com/Products/VIE/vie.html

:

: *Humans aren't the only species on earth... we just act like it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Academic Forum ]