kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

what happens if....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The CITES Forum ]

Posted by Roy Stockwell on April 28, 2003 at 23:49:27:

In Reply to: what happens if.... posted by icequeen on April 28, 2003 at 04:09:14:

:The pet shop she came from said she was wild caught, and THEN they said she came from another owner to them...probably was wild caught, but who knows when. I'm wondering what happens if we can not find out when and where she came from.

Kim you can pretty much assume the animal is Wild Caught as they only have one, rarely two babies. Cative breedings are still pretty rare and there is certainly no commercialized volume of CB's (yet)

:Does the pet shop have to keep those records? Is there any way around the fact that we'll likely never know?

Pet stores are not required to keep CITES records if they're not the importer, and many don't as they buy from wholesalers, and the wholesalers rarely provide CITES because the document shows their source.

:What if the reason I want to send her into the U.S is for better care, and the conservation of the species??? where she can be with other PTS?
:I keep hearing that the CITES people don't cut anyone any slack

I hate to say it but CITES is more about law and procedure than concern for one or two specimens.. Hell, I had a shipment of Rosy boas sent across North America 3 times in cold weather, just because a document wasn't stamped.They wouldn't send just the document, the animals
had to fly around in cold weather.One ended up with a respiratory infection. Sometimes CITES procedures seem contradictory.

If there is fairly good reason to think the animal did arrive on Canadian soil legally, the Canadian wildlife service/(CITES) will sometimes approve exports when a notorized
statement is provided.
Mail me for more details

:Thanks for your help!
:Kim

:
::The difference between appy one and two, in regard to paper work, is that
::appy 2's require only one export permit from the country of origin, in order to export.
::Appendix 1 animals, require 2 permits for international trade.One to export, and one to import
::into the receiving country. Both the shipping nation and receiving nations must provide the permit from each country.

::With your corucia, you'll have to prove it came to Canada legally. Many did, years ago as they were a commonly imported pet trade
::species. Find out where the pet store got it...Chances are the trail is pretty cold, but the orignal wholesaler that imported it, might have a copy of the
::export permit, although it's possible that animal has been floating around up here from one owner to another for years.

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The CITES Forum ]