kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Pantherophis Obsoletus (Black rat snake)*PIC*...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ What Kind of Snake is This Forum ]

Posted by hotshot on May 08, 2003 at 08:57:15:

In Reply to: Help!! What kind of snake is this? posted by shebrat on May 07, 2003 at 19:27:20:

and you can feed it fuzzy mice or hoppers. Try fuzzies first and if the snake can eat 2 or 3 or these with no problems, then on the next feeding try to feed it a hopper. I feed my babies/juveniles every 3 or 4 days. I usually only feed one or two pinkies/fuzzies/hoppers. Once they move up to small adult mice and larger, I feed them once every 6 days. Make sure you either feed frozen/thawed or prekilled. Dont feed live mice to a snake, this can have very dire consequences. If you feed frozen/thawed, just make sure the mouse is completely thawed and is actually warm to the touch. I thaw mine out in a ziploc bag placed in a bowl of hot water. Leave it there for 10 or 15 minutes, changing the water out when it cools some.
I have a wild caught black rat snake that is now going on 2 years old and has eaten from the very beginning. Good easy snakes to raise and I would suggest getting a book on rat snakes and reading it. Would help a novice get some good information on keeping your snake healthy. Just make sure you have the correct temps,(warm end - 80 degrees, cool end 72-75 degrees) a hiding spot or two, some kind of substrate and a water dish large enough for the snake to soak in if it wants. I would recommend newspaper for the first year, especially if you feed the snake in its enclosure. Try not to handle your snake atleast 48 hours after you feed it, because this could cause the snake to regurge its meal.
Here is a pic of mine....

He is a KY locale black rat and pushing 42". Here in this portion of KY they dont get jet black like they do over in the eastern states or even down in southestern MO and AR.

:We found a snake in our backyard and would like to know if someone could help in identifying it. I believe it's a corn snake, but I could be wrong.
:The snake is a little under 2ft, dark gray w/black saddles. It's very docile. As in, it did not strike out when we placed into an old fish tank we have. We saved it from being attacked by a couple of dogs.

:If it's helpful, we reside in Eastern North Carolina.

:The pictures are huge, please visit the directory below, 56k beware:

:http://www.fayettenam.com/snake

:TIA,

:Alex

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ What Kind of Snake is This Forum ]