kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Care info, more...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ What Kind of Lizard Forum ]

Posted by equine884 on September 24, 2002 at 14:25:14:

In Reply to: What kind of lizard is this so I know what to feed him posted by wildwinding on September 23, 2002 at 19:22:55:

As previously stated, that is a Green Anole. Appears to be a male, looking at the build. You're going to need something to use as a substrate, do not use dirt or sand (Can cause impaction). Newspaper or paper towels will work fine.

You need to provide a place for him to hide, as they are very flighty and are happiest when out of site. Anything you may have around will work, you may consider using an empty paper towel roll etc.

They are classified as being aboreal, so you should have some plants in the enclosure. Fake or real, doesn't matter. Lots of leaves to hide in.

Most importantly, you will need a source of heat. Enclosure should be kept at about 75 degrees. An incandescent light works fine, wattage depends on where you live and how cold it is. If you intend on keeping him, you will need to get a UVA/UVB light.

You need to keep humidity to about 60%. This can be achieved by misting the cage with water several times a day.

Feed crickets, size should be no longer than the width of his head. This can be challenging! Lots of trips to the pet store. Don't go in thinking you'll just buy a bunch to use, they will very quickly grow to large to use.

His brown coloring indicates stress and/or that he is cold. He probably closes his eyes very frequently as well, another indication of stress. If you notice a black spot behind his eyes, this is also another sign of severe stress. When he's happy, he'll turn a bright green color.

A proper enclosure will easily reach $100. I set up a 10gal enclosure for my brother last year, and the grand total was $220.00. Your best bet is probably going to be to let him go, but it's up to you. If you do decide to keep him and need any assistance, please feel free to write me, equine_girl_16@hotmail.com

Regards
Danielle

:This lizard was in building on job site, scared and in a corner. We have an aquarium, so he was brought home and now I don't know what to feed him or what kind he is. His aquarium already had sand in it and rocks and we have a heat light too. What kind is he and what do I need to get to feed him tonight? I will go get whatever he needs tomorrow at pet shop. Should we keep him or set him free in our yard. Jobsite area was way too dangerous just to set free. Thanks and appreciate any help I can get in food and identification, I know he is hungry.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ What Kind of Lizard Forum ]