kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

What lizard IS it? Petshop problems...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ What Kind of Lizard Forum ]

Posted by BlackLightning42 on September 20, 2002 at 18:01:42:

At a petshop near where I live, there is a large number of reptiles. I'm a rather dedicated, if somewhat clueless, reptile fan, but for all of my long hours of studying, the petshop takes GREAT care of... most... of their reptiles. Right now, however, they have received from the supplier that none of them know what to do with. They tried to put it in cages with some other kinds of lizards, for lack of space, and it killed two of their leopard geckos (they are VERY unimpressed - they're one of the rare shops that really care about their reptiles) so they've put it in with some bigger stuff, and its still got an attitude problem. It tries to bite anyone that goes near it, and attacks everything in its path. Cranky lizard.

The girl there told me that she was told that it was an "Australian Green Lizard", but neither of us have heard of it, and internet searches prove useless. It's about 9 inches long right now (maybe 4" snout to vent) and I don't have a picture available. It's got dark gray/brown/black (can't tell, it was half-done shedding - also the reason neither of us wanted to near enough to pick it up) sides and a dark green back that just kind of fades onto its sides and onto its head and tall. It has the proportions of a half-grown monitor, size excluded, and its head is kind of a shape between a Savanah Monitor and a Skink of some sort, and from the proportions of the eyes to the rest of the head, it looks like its almost if not completely full-grown. But I could be wrong.

I know almost dead certain that it isn't a skink or agama, and it most certainly isn't a gecko. I just have no idea of what it might be.

I'd really appreciate any help that you might be able to give me in ID'ing it, and anything else that should be known about the little critter. I'm thinking of bringing him home, if I can learn enough about him - he's a cute little devil, and he'll be better off in a tank by himself where there's nothing for him to slaughter.

Thanks for reading this, and I'd be thrilled if you can help!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ What Kind of Lizard Forum ]