mobile - desktop
Available Now at New York Worms!
News & Events:
Posted by venom17 on May 13, 2003 at 17:41:41:
In Reply to: Opinions for a newbie? posted by AJD on May 12, 2003 at 16:29:23:
:Only one person has responded and I would like to have ideas and views from lots of people so please take the time to respond Thank you
:I have been working with reptiles and amphibians since I was 7. I am turning 19 in a week and I would love to start into venomous. So here are some questions.
:A. I was thinking of an eyelash viper? Good starter or not?
:1. How potent is the venom?
:2. Are there any good caresheets that I could look at?
:B. Would another species be better? I am open to suggestions however I am not real keen on vine snakes. I do absolutely love vipers in general, especially the rhino (I know way to venomous for a newbie).
:C. Finally Any information that you could give me on the species you suggest would be much appreciated
:Thank you for all of your help
Ok heres the deal. Venom is Venom. You can have a severe allergic reaction to the venom of any kind of snake whether its a Southern Copperhead or a Rhino Viper. If your dead your dead.
My first venomous snake I got when I was 13 was an adult Dusky Pigmy Rattlesnake. Those and the Cottonmouths were the only snakes I kept and worked with for the next 3 years. Dusky's are good because of their low toxicity compared to other snakes, but most I have had are a pain to hook. They like to move alot. In my opinion, the best snake to start with would be a neonate Florida Cottonmouth. Yes they do have a nasty bite and can be fatal if left untreated but they hook extremely well(the ones I kept did anyways)and are great feeders. My guys I had were very laid back too. It doesnt matter what snake you start with, IF YOU BECOME COMPLACENT or LET YOUR GUARD down for a minute, you can end up in the hospital or even worse dead. Just be safe, learn alot about the snake you choose, and have fun. They are all wonderful creatures. Contact me if you need any further information.