kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Interested in keeping an eyelash viper, but I have some Qs..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Viperidae Forum ]

Posted by squamiger on March 18, 2003 at 22:37:32:

In Reply to: Interested in keeping an eyelash viper, but I have some Qs.. posted by Eyelash4Me on March 10, 2003 at 19:24:48:

Hi

I know a few really good eyelash breeders and Jim Campbell of Lavibora is definitely top-notch. He has really nice animals and he's a really nice guy who will give you the tips to keep your animals happy. He can give you more advice than I have time to do here, so give him a ring.

I do not keep eyelash currently but I can give you some basic information on the cages you will need. Do not go out and buy an elaborate setup with a huge cage full of live plants, if you are purchasing neonates or juvenile snakes. Young snakes tend to get lost in these enclosures and they do not feed well. Also, larger cages are harder to keep at the correct temp and humidity.

Jim keeps his neos in deli cups where it is easy to regulate their temperatures and make sure that they are feeding and are hydrated. You can move them up to rubbermaid shoe boxes when they are feeding well and have more size to them. You won't have any need for large tanks until they are subadults. The animals just do so much better in smaller enclosures until they are large enough to fend for themselves. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Derek Morgan

:I've been reading up on eyelash vipers for quite some time now and lurking on this forum as well and I'm strongly considering getting my first eyelash viper. I've kept a few emerald tree boas for quite some time and love arboreal species. I'm not here to ask whether or not you think I am ready for one because I feel that is a decision people should make for themselves. I just wanted to know what others experiences have been with these snakes. After some searching I think I'd purchase the snake from the people at Lavibora.com as they seem to breed quality specimens and have good feedback on this forum. So do any of you guys/gals have any useful tips or information that you could share from your own experiences with keeping these snakes? Also, any pictures of your cages/setups would be appreciated so I could get an idea as to what size cage they need and how to properly set it up. Feel free to contact me via email with any information. Thanks in advance.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Viperidae Forum ]