Posted by jr on September 10, 2000 at 21:42:05:
In Reply to: VHS Board Meeting, Sept 10, 7pm, at Subway. posted by jr on September 07, 2000 at 19:52:17:
We had a surprisingly good turnout for our first Fall Board meeting. The food was good too. In attendance were Annetrea Cassens, Dorothy Earley, Mike McCulley, Al & Julie Parra, and myself.
1. Treasury Report: Dorothy announced VHS has $242 in the bank.
2. Shows: Mike suggested we try and bring in Dr. Kathryn Dittman, Annetrea suggested Dr. Kim Herrin, Dorothy suggested Paul Parker, and I suggested Dr. Norm Richard for guest speakers. They are all great speakers that haven't given a show for a while.
3. Field Trips: Everyone said they would like to visit Sea Turtle Inc., Sabal Palm Grove, Santa Ana NWR, and International Reptile to see their breeding successes. We could also go out to Ramsey Park.
4. Raffle: We all need to see what we can collect. Plants, Herp supplies, Reptiles magazines, etc... If we could have a nice healthy herp donated, that would be nice too.
5. Advertising: Annetrea said she could get us advertising with the Public Broadcasting, Channel 4 and 5, if she gets the speakers lined up 1 month in advance. Dorothy is going to send Annetrea the phone numbers for news coverage. Julie Parra is going to try and get Science Teachers at Harlingen South HS to email us for info on meetings. I will make some fliers and attach them to email and send them to everyone.
6. VHS forum: Most of our Board members have read the forum. Hopefully they will feel comfortable posting messages on it later on. We will advertise the forum more to let people know it is a good free place to ask herp questions and help others on herp issues.
7. Newsletter: Our Editor Brent is fighting fires in Montana so we will wait for him to get back.
8. End-of-Year Party: We all want to have one. Annetrea said her place was one possiblity and I volunteered mine as well. If we have a lot of people come we can just move the party to Pendleton Park like 1998.
9. Amphibian Watch next Sat. Sept.16. VHS is going to donate some cold sodas and help sponsor the event. Annetrea said it is going to be real cool and we should be splashing around chasing frogs in the dark with flashlights and having a great time as we record data. This data will be used later to help identify frog species and see if they are declining or increasing 10 years form now. Once we receive our Certificates we will sign up for other days to periodically go out and listen for the frogs and record that data as well. It isn't too late to get more volunteers for this unique opportunity (Contact me if interested and I will email you a Registration form if you havn't already got one off the forum below).
Post a Followup