kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Animals in zoos

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]

Posted by MsTT on May 11, 2003 at 22:38:14:

In Reply to: Tanith, I think the bottom line is that you..... posted by oreganus on May 11, 2003 at 22:19:36:

: I just think it kind of funny that you have so much of a problem with animals being humanely kept, but I bet you aren't at the zoo lecturing everyone for keeping wild animals that normally roam over miles in freedom in cement pens with some dirt and a tree or two.

*chuckle* Actually, I do get out there to the zoo and vet conferences talking about how to improve standards for the veterinary care of captive venomous reptiles. I am no expert on mammals, so I would not presume to lecture people about them.

From what I hear from people who are experts on mammals, a lot of species that roam over miles do so because they have to work that hard to stay alive. Whether they enjoy roaming miles as much as you enjoy going to work in the morning is a question that is a little hard to answer. Some zookeepers will swear that their charges prefer to work as little as possible for their food and seem to really enjoy spending their time playing and relaxing. Others say that their animals are bored and need more enrichment.

Since very few of the large animals are taken from the wild for zoos at this point, and animal enrichment programs are becoming the norm, I'd say that conditions have improved considerably for the comfort of the animals. I agree that it's still not perfect.

:PS- the threats that were made were real, they are not a fabrication. I think they should be given to the police, then the coward who made them could come out in the light and show us just exactly how tough they are.

While I have personally seen no evidence that they are real, I agree that any inappropriate threats of violence should be turned over to the police. Did you hear the threats played on tape yourself, or just hear about them secondhand?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]