kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

venemous supplies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]

Posted by BGF on April 30, 2003 at 01:41:26:

In Reply to: venemous supplies posted by totallyalec on April 29, 2003 at 16:26:59:

Dear Alec

Good questions. I'm sure there are people in your area who will be willing to help out. As for your age, 14 is not too young in my opinion but it certainly is dependent on experience. If you are interested in vipers and have minimal experience with non-venomous, I suggest you work with similarly built extremely aggressive non-venomous snakes. Blood pythons (Python curtus and related species) and also viper boas (Candoia asper) are viper-like in build and extremely aggressive. They will certainly punish you if given a chance. After dealing with some of those mongrels, a rather placid animal like the American copperhead will seem easy by way of comparison.

As for gear, for the best available go to Midwest, www.tongs.com This might be out of your price range though (you did mention you were on a budget). It is not terribly difficult to make your own but of course the gear won't be as good.

As for having people teach you, I suggest that you join the SHHS (SE Hot Herp Society), www.venomousreptiles.org Its run by a very good group of people and they will no doubt be quite helpful.

Best of luck
Bryan

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]