mobile - desktop
Online/Stores/Expos - LLLReptile.com
News & Events:
Posted by KlausRoemer on April 29, 2003 at 08:15:13:
In Reply to: mouth parasites posted by vemon on April 29, 2003 at 05:11:37:
these are possibly mites, as mites prefer "soft" targets around the mouth and eyeballs. It is likely, however, that the whole animal is mite infested. I had the best success with a anti-mite spray called "beaphar" (here in Germany; so I can't tell you the brand in the US); however, it is a conventional low-toxicity anti-mite spray used for birds (they are closest to reptiles). You got to separate the infested animals from the others, put them in a box with just paper, spray them from above (take care that they don't drink the stuff), and spray a paper towel and rub the animal's belly against it (mites are often hiding underneath the ventral scales). Repeat this once a week, for at least three weeks (to kill off the eggs). Carefully clean the cages.