kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

A few concerns about this show

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]

Posted by Chance on April 16, 2003 at 11:09:37:

In Reply to: Fla venomous show its about time ! No VENOMOIDS! posted by budman 1st on April 15, 2003 at 19:12:19:

I think it's great that they're holding a hot show in a well-known area like Daytona, and that they aren't allowing venomoids, but there are a few concerns I have about this show after reading through the rules which make me think that its turnout will most likely be less than good. First off, the show is venomous animals only from what I can tell, no nonvens at all. Many people, like myself, keep and breed both venomous and nonvenomous, so this puts us at a disadvantage in that we could only bring the venomous. Second, sucks to be you if you live outside of Florida. I realize what FL law states about vens, but because of this, if rules like "any people that buy hots that live outside of FL will have to have them shipped from FL to elsewhere via the airlines" then maybe FL isn't the best state to hold hot shows in. I know for me, living in AR, that would defeat the entire purpose of going to the show if I actually wanted to get something. I might as well just buy the animal from a company over the net, have it shipped here, and avoid having to make the trip to the FL show. And also, what if the person that lives outside of FL isn't going back to their home immediately following the show. Will the herps just sit at the airport until said person makes it back? Even if they do leave immediately, drives can sometimes take days. Thirdly, they won't allow anyone under 18 to even enter the show, period. Sorry, but that's a bit restrictive in my eyes. At the San Antonio hot show in December I had many parents with their kids walk up to my table and show and talk to their kids about the snakes. I believe it's a really good opportunity for younger people to get to see these animals for what they are, and not merely zoo attractions or even nightmarish creatures.

Anyway, these are just a few things that popped into my mind after reading through the rules on Hank Molt's website for this show. Yes it's great that all these rules comply with FL law and will obviously make for a very safe show, however if the vendors are expecting a huge turnout and to actually make money off of it, they might have a wee surprise coming. Like I said, if you have to follow all these rules in order to have a hot show in FL, then maybe that state just isn't ideal for those kinds of herp shows. I'd like to hear other feedback on this, because who knows, the show may actually end up being a success and I may want to make it down there sometime in the future if they decide to hold it anually or whatever.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]