I, for one, would very much like to know which snake and how it happened. Might save me and thee from ending up in the same, sad circumstances. more

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Venomous Reptile Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gabby Haze on December 20, 1999 at 10:29:14:

In Reply to: who cares what bit her...the fact is she's dead! n/p posted by nick on December 20, 1999 at 09:39:09:

You might call it 'shared info the hard way. I am always interested in a bite, especally one recieved by an experienced keeper.

As soon as you think you know every trick a snake is likely pull on you, he'll show you a new one. And it's always good to learn about a snake that you haven't kept but might someday.

In this case, all will never be known, but we can perhaps learn a little.

Regards,

Gabby

PS: I would have thought they could have ruled the Gaboon in or out by the fang spread. Even a one footer would have quite a wide one.

: : : It is more likely that Ms Finch was the victim of
: : : the strike of the African Sand Viper she kept. Al-
: : : though about the size of a sidewinder, it is far
: : : more venomous and temperamental than either a Gaboon or rattler. Captive-bred Gaboons are for
: : : more tolerant of handling than sand vipers.

: : I've known some placid gabbys and some really psycho-snake gabbys, but mostly they're in between, kinda hissy and huffy. I'd as soon not lay my hands on mine as a rule. I have a lot of respect for those snakes, and they can strike with amazing speed and power and range for their pudginess.

: : I do not believe that Cerastes vipera (Sahara sand viper, aka pygmy sand viper) is capable of fatal human envenomation if this is what you are referring to as the African sand viper. They are OK on a hook, but it would be exceptionally stupid to try to tail one, as they are small and agile and can certainly bite a hand on their tail. As apparently Ms. Finch had been bitten several times before, anaphylactic shock could have been the culprit even from a C. vipera bite. Was any necrosis mentioned? The symptoms reported (swollen hand, no mention of necrosis) are consistent with C. vipera bite.

: : Regards,

: : MsTT

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Venomous Reptile Forum ] [ FAQ ]