kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

what about trying....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]

Posted by icequeen on May 12, 2003 at 17:37:47:

In Reply to: Vet Visit posted by Cher123 on May 12, 2003 at 13:28:28:

I have a large skink, that I have had to encourage to eat her greens as well.
What I do is chop them up in a food processor, until they are the consistancy of chopped parsley...then I mix them in with her favourite "beginner" baby food. The beginner baby food has a higher quantity of water in it, therefore helping with hydration.
I understand that uro's really like peas, so maybe you could mix her chopped greens in with some baby food peas.

I was also under the understanding that spinich, kale and swiss chard to a degree where not particularly beneficial to herps. I believe that those particular greens block the absorption of calcium, and are too high in oxcylic acid (could be wrong about that name...but it's something like that).
It's just my opinion, but I would stick with the greens you know are 100% "safe" for your Wilson, when his health is already compromised. I don't know that I would feed him the romaine either, because as stated, it doesn't have a lot of nutritional value, and is mostly water...so I don't think I would want to fill his tummy, making him think he's full, with something that doesn't give him much nutrition.

that was just my 2 cents...

Good luck to you and Wilson!!!! I hope he starts feeling better soon!

Kim

:Just got back from the vet with Wilson. He stopped eating and a fecal showed he has pinworms. The vet dewormed him, and we go back on the 22nd for another dose of the panacur. They weighed him in at 282 grams. The vet says I should gut load some crickets for a couple days, and feed him 3 or 4 small ones a week. Wilson is about 2 years old and has never had any crickets since we've had him. He also says that I need to get him to eat his greens. Any idea on how to do this. He likes frozen green beans, dandelions, and dry lentils,peas,birdseed, and juvenile iguana food. Any ideas on getting him to eat his greens? Right now he won't even eat a dandelion! I'm trying to get a little Jump Start in him each day, and a couple drops of Pedialyte.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]