kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Rocky went to the vet today...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]

Posted by jimbo on May 09, 2003 at 22:54:53:

As you may or may not know, Rocky has had his ups and his downs. Today was a steady reminder that nothing is as it seems. I thought Rocky had everything going perfectly and probably wouldn't have anymore problems. Well, today I noticed him having the "muscle tremors" that my mali got just before she died. As much as I hate ot admit it, I was ready to do what ever it took to get him back to normal, short of tapping into our very tight budget (AKA going to the vet). Thankfully, my wife who does all the bill paying and bookkeeping, told me (more like "ordered me") to call the vet. THey said they'd take him today. So, my suspicions were right in that she (the vet) feels that the tremors are from not enough calcium, as was the diagnosis with my mali. Rocky doesn't like his greens with that icky powdered stuff on there. This was further backed by the observation that his feces has been more like di...direh..diarhahe...you know, the "runs".
So while I was there, I decided to bring up some things that I was curious about, things that I wanted the vet to know that I was aware of. Things like deworming (she didn't suggest that was the problem yet), antibiotics, probiotics, and calcium needs. Man, was I glad I got her going, cause not only does she know her stuff, but she's a herper too. Snakes and lizards!. Point being, don't be intimidated to ask questions in order to find out how well your vet knows uros.
So, I'm trying out a new (to me) calcium suppliment and a probiotic to make sure he and Runako are getting their needed calcium, as well as making sure their bacteria levels are good. If things work the way we're expecting, his poops should be back to normal within a week or so, as well as his calcium problem disappearing. Knowing things are tight here, and she has a "history" with Rocky, she gave me some probiotics and syringes to inject mealworms if needed, in order to get Rocky and Runako to get what they need. The bill was really reasonable. Again, I know that many people are on a tight budget, but it wouldn't hurt to let the vet know that, especially if you've alrady spent time talking and they know you're serious about your pet.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]