kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

First Time Here!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]

Posted by dannyg on May 08, 2003 at 11:01:00:

Hello, this is my first time in this forum and I would like to introduce myself and my 3 Ornate babies! Ben is on the bottom (as usual), Gerri is on top in the back and her sister Gracie is in the front.

Gracie and Gerri are from the same clutch and about 1 year 6 months old. Ben has different parents and is about 1 year and 8 months old. All three of them have been living in the same enclosure for 1 year and 3 months. They enjoy living together too much for me to separate them. If one of them has to go to the vet - I must take all 3 or else they go crazy. They sleep, eat and bask together. All 3 of them are tame and so gentle. Each one of them begs to be held each day. Ben will do tricks for Super Worms (stand up as best he can or he will wave his arm).

Ben is 12 inches long and brilliant colors of green with yellow oval dots – each dot surrounded by a darker shade of green. He also has blue in his face. Gerri is 11 inches and Gracie is 10 inches. Both of there bodies are mainly pale purple with white spots of thier faces. Gerri has yellow strips and Gracie sports yellow dots in banded rows. The picture does not do them justice for the beauty of their colors. All three are in perfect condition and health. I am hoping that someday they will mate.

Gracie is a strict vegetarian while Ben and Gerri love their occasional Super Worms. I use a T-Rex Active UV Heat 160 Watt Spot for their basking area. This is the only bulb I have found that will allow me to heat their area up to 128 degrees F and still be a safe distance from their bodies. I use ESU Reptile Desert Blend Lizard Litter as their substrate. I have never had a compaction problem with any of them.

Also in my collection of children – I have 2 New Guinea Frilled Dragons (Fitz and Floyd); Male Nosey Be neon blue and white Panther Chameleon (Max); Neon green Dwarf Panther Chameleon (Zack); and a Blood Red Bearded Dragon (Xandar). Needless to say I spend about 3 hours a day caring for them. Luckily I telecommute so I can give them all the time that they need and look forward to. I use 700 ½” crickets per week, 300 1” crickets per week, 1000 Super Worms every 6 weeks, and about 6 pounds total of mixed fruits & vegetables (kale, chard, corn, peas, squash, carrots, kiwi, mango and bananas) per week. I also raise pinkies for the dragons – they eat about 20 per week. So I guess you can tell what my hobby is!

This forum has been very useful and I would like to thank everyone for contributing. This is the best area I have found to find information about Uromastyxs.

Regards,
Danny Goux

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]