kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

hello =)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]

Posted by msmmarie on May 05, 2003 at 18:44:39:

In Reply to: so like ive been considering a uromastyx for a desert lizard posted by thereptile on May 04, 2003 at 16:36:58:

i don't want to assume your level of knowledge of herps so you may already know alot of setup information and the costs related to setup and maintenance (remember too that these are veggie based animals and there is alot of time involved in preparing and providing fresh greens everyday) the things you might want to consider are: this is a great place for advice but there is still not alot of extended advice on these animals -- uros (in my opinion) have some trouble with impaction if extra care is not taken to avoid it, they may not always be the most social especially since many are still purchased as wild caught, not many veterinarians have alot of experience with uros also so finding a vet is another obstacle, another thing is that from the conversations here, so species of uro are predisposed to stress and will need special care and time to acclimate (they have been known to refuse food, refuse to bask, become aggressive and other signs of stress) also, you have to be very careful who you purchase from because these animals like i said get sold as wild caught quite often still and may be malnourished and sick which can result in a loss of money and life of the animal -- i would buy one from a local pet shoppe you trust and pay the extra money because you are better assured of a healthy animal -- i got mira from a guy who thought she was cute and never thought about all the time and money she would take -- so you may already know all the warnings and if you do then great -- it's just when some people see a request for 'inexpensive' it sets off a big red flag that the needs of the animal may not be foremost or that the knowledge of the cost and care of herps may not be there -- so best of luck and hope you end up with alot of information and a great animal if you choose to care for one =) be careful though, people who catch the uro bug start with one and end up with 5! lol just make sure you do plenty of research to know what you're getting into -- molly

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]