kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Thanks to Peter for that...one more thing...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]

Posted by jimbo on April 22, 2003 at 19:46:12:

In Reply to: New to Uro's posted by georgio on April 22, 2003 at 18:44:25:

I couldnt' do better than that, the only thing I'd add, is if you're going to make your own cage, as some are good with wood, just make sure it's large enough, enough ventilation, room for temp gradient, and if possible, I've found that a "front loader" seems to stress the uros out a bit less. One last thing, get the cage and temps right before bringing home the new addition. Consider inside height as in my situation, my house is kinda cold (refuse to pay PG&E anymore than I have to) and with the size of mine, I had to drop the 100watt ZooMed basking light down inside closer to the ground in order to get the 115-120F.
Good luck.

Jim

:
:1) What is the best beginner Uro?
:I would go for a Mali. They are the least expensive, and you should be able to find a captive bred specimen without difficulty. If you just want one as a pet I would get a male as they grow larger and more colorful.
:2) Do you know of any reliable places that I can acquire one?
:I have not bought from either of these people but have talked with both of them. Doug Dix at Deer Fern Farms: www.deerfernfarms.com and Lindsay Pike of Urotopia: www.urotopia.com. Both are excellent breeders that focus primarily on Uromastyx. You should be able to get a captive bred animal from them as well as have access to excellent phone support after your purchase.
:3) Do you have any advice on how to make an enclosure?
:I built a custom aquarium (just glass and silicon adhesive) for my Egyptian but if you are going to get an aquarium I would just buy one...they commonly make them big enough for Malis (not so with Egyptians). As far as a melamine or wood enclosure I'll let someone else answer that one.
:4) Do you really need UVB lighting(I don't have a problem with it I just was wondering)?
:Yes. UVB lighting allows reptiles to produce vitamin D which is essential in assimilating calcium. You should either have a fluorescent UVB light or a mercury vapor bulb.
:5) How can I provide 120+F basking spot!
:It depends on how you setup your cage. If you have a more contained cage (with a top) people have had success providing an adequate temperature range with lower wattage lights. With an open top cage you will either need a 100 or 150 watt mercury vapor or basking bulb.

:Hope that helps,

:Peter

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]