kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Press: Rare reptile in sticky situation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Herp Forum UK ]

Posted by W von Papineäu on November 13, 2002 at 12:58:23:

BBC (London, UK) 13 November 02 Rare reptile in sticky situation
An animal lover has saved the life of a rare tortoise by fixing its cracked shell with window sealant.
Colin Walton, 39, was thrilled when the tiny Indian Star baby hatched from its egg at his home in North Tyneside.
But the tiny tortoise - the size of a 50p - was in distress and Mr Walton was dismayed to see a crack running the length of its shell and blood seeping out.
Quick-thinking Mr Walton grabbed a tube of silicon sealant and, very carefully, applied it to the hairline crack.
He then placed the baby in an incubator and waited in hope that his DIY repair work had been successful.
The next day the bleeding had stopped and the baby appeared to have made a full recovery.
Mr Walton, who has 17 tortoises, said: "It was wonderful to finally hatch a tortoise after 10 years of trying.
"But I was very concerned when I saw the baby's shell was cracked and there was a spot of blood.
"I didn't hold out much hope but I used silicon window sealant to repair it returned it to the incubator.
"This species rarely breeds in the country and as far as I know only Edinburgh Zoo has hatched one, four years ago."
Conservation efforts
Mr Walton is a member of the Tortoise Trust and the British Chelonia Group and keeps several species, including the Madagascar Radiated, Hermann's and Spur-thighed tortoises.
Imports of the creatures, once a common pet shop purchase, are now controlled for conservation reasons.
John Thorpe, of the British Chelonia Group, said Mr Walton's swift action had saved the baby's life.
"The baby would have been very vulnerable at such a young age, a crack like that can let in infection and lead to death quickly.
"He did just the right thing in sealing the crack and I am glad he managed to save its life."

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Herp Forum UK ]