kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Surinams Born!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Herp Forum UK ]

Posted by matthewpope on October 10, 2002 at 21:04:06:

Hello all. My name is Matthew and I am in the US.

Around 2 weeks ago, 9/25, at about 2:30 AM CST (USA), I awoke to check on my female Surinam who was ready to drop any day. She was 124 days past her post ovulation shed and I knew "the time was at hand".

When I peeked in, this is what I saw.

:

:

22 live healthy babies but 8 slugs. No kinked backs or apparent problems of any kind. I must have missed the actual birth by not too long, as the mother only had a trail of fluid from her tail to the pile of babies and there was no mess made yet from her crawling through them. Furthermore, those babies which were out of their birthsack had only just begun to move around and make trails on the paper.

Almost every one of these babies exhibit some strong batwing and/or widow's peaking but only a few of them have such peaking all the way down to the tail. Many have this strong peaking to varying degrees up front and then the saddles turn nice and thin towards the tail.

All appear super clean in pattern and the tails all look great. All have low total saddle counts and none have thick, blocky or ugly saddles.

There is one individual that has two or so fat batwing peaks up front but then his saddles turn very thin and he is also missing a few. I think he only has 8 or 9 saddles.

They just went though their first shed and they look great. I am holding them all back for the first two sheds to see what happens.

I am very happy with this litter.

For those viewing this post that have not seen pictures of my parenting animals, please see:

http://www.theboaforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=boapics1&action=display&num=1032498839

Some interesting photos of the color changes after ovulation, etc can also be seen at this link:

http://www.theboaforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=boapics1&action=display&num=1032498839

Enjoy!

Matthew

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Herp Forum UK ]