mobile - desktop
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
News & Events:
Posted by Chris McMartin on July 02, 2002 at 12:10:00:
In Reply to: Re: Call me...(more) posted by Carl Franklin on July 02, 2002 at 08:55:27:
: While not cutting and sucking a venomous bite is correct, applying ANY ice to a venomous bite is not only unnecessary but can seriously complicate the situation by slowing down the circulation to the area.
I mentioned I would probably apply an ice pack, but I didn't mention I'm not infallible. :)
An ice pack is very different than immersing the affected limb in icewater. There's no way an ice pack is going to reduce the swelling (like I erroneously said)--I can't think of the links off the top of my head, but I'm sure a search for snakebite info will result in some amazing pics of swelling after a bite. A cold compress can, however, help ease the associated pain.
The enzymes in venom lose effectiveness with colder temperatures, but to be useful in averting the effects of the venom, you'd have to freeze your limb, which is counterproductive. :)
You also made an excellent point regarding the removal of rings/watches/jewelry. Ain't no way those are coming off after the swelling starts!