kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: One more thing ----------

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Texas Herp News Forum ]

Posted by Aaron on September 19, 2001 at 22:49:50:

In Reply to: Re: One more thing ---------- posted by toby on August 23, 2001 at 00:57:53:

: Really? That is most unusual. I cant imagine any any risk clean healthy animals would spread to wild animals, but who knows. Ive often heard the reason road collecting is possible because the road is a magnet of sorts for the animals, drawing them out of their habitat to soak up the heat. I would think these animals would be drawn from a minor region to the roads, but then again there are a lot of roads criss crossing in west texas...
: Oh well, enjoyed your viewpoint.
: td

>Have you ever been to W. Texas to hunt alterna? There are not alot of roads criss crossing W. Texas. I agree with the previous poster that the roads cover less than 1% of the TX portion of alterna habitat. Plus the bulk of their range is in Mexico were very few, if any people regularly collect. Of that 1% not all of it is hunted every time alterna are moving. Of the places that are hunted not all of the alterna moving are even seen by collectors. Of the alterna seen not all are able to be collected because they may be too high up on a roadcut or they may escape into the brush on the roadside before they can be caught. Of the alterna actually caught not even all of them are collected. Some of the ones collected off the road may have been run over if not collected. And with the drop in prices for alterna the numbers of people going to TX to collect alterna has dropped. The species has weathered the heyday of alterna collecting and most of the population has not even been touched. I have been going to TX for 6 years and have collected 5 alterna. I have probably spent about $7,000 dollars on collecting alterna and have also puchased 15 captive born alterna. I have probably captive produced between 100-150 alterna. Most of them I either kept or sold for $15-25 wholesale. I am nowhere near making a profit. The reason I hunt, collect and produce alterna is because it is fun and exciting. This is true for most collectors. I am not hurting the snakes and I am not hurting anyone else. People should not have to justify a hobby that harms no one. If they enjoy it and its not huting anybody then in a free country, let them do it. I hope this answers your question and I'm sorry if I sound offensive to you but your post sounded uninformed, accusatory and as if you had already made up your mind. As did your follow up comments.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Texas Herp News Forum ]