kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Eastern Bairds Rat Snake, Bandera County Tx......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Texas Herp News Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Lott on May 13, 2001 at 13:36:48:

In Reply to: Eastern Bairds Rat Snake, Bandera County Tx...... posted by Ken Diehl on May 11, 2001 at 12:05:26:

Ken,

I have found quite a number of Elaphe obsoleta types all over Bandera County, including the roads you mentioned. The vast majority of the snakes I have found on roads have been either typical lindheimeri or the so-called "hybrids." The easternmost pure bairdi I have seen came from the Medina Lake area (in Medina Co.). The easternmost "hybrid" was at Privilege Creek (on Tx 16). You can find any of these types virtually anywhere in the county (I have also found pure lindheimeri near Vanderpool, just a few miles south of the Lost Maples "hybrid" Cris H. posted a photo of on the Rat Snake Forum).

The fact that most of the roads in the county closely follow streams likely accounts for the high percentage of lindheimeri I've seen. Concentrate on the higher, rockier areas (like one would for alterna) and you should get some nice Baird's.

I personally see very little difference between the Bandera Co. bairdi and those from farther west in Edwards and Val Verde counties, where they are somewhat easier to find by road cruising. Any Baird's from the Plateau is going to be nicer than those from the Trans-Pecos area.

Hopefully, this first normal spring in several years will continue to provide us with good rainfall in the area, which is essential to any chance of success. Good luck!

Tom Lott

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Texas Herp News Forum ] [ FAQ ]