kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Mud Turtle Compatibility

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Turtle Forum ]

Posted by draybar on April 21, 2003 at 14:27:26:

In Reply to: Mud Turtle Compatibility posted by hairijuana on April 20, 2003 at 14:16:50:

:hey all, i just aquired a mississippi mud turtle with a carapace length of about 3".
:i was wondering if it was possible to house her in a 40 breeder with a quarter sized cooter and a 3" red ear slider. she won't hesitate to try and bite me, and i don't want to have her hurt any of my other turtles.
:shes in a temporary enclosure (10 gal) for now, but i know she needs bigger. i also have a 40 breeder with a full grown male florida softshell, would she be better suited for his tank? any advice would be much appreciated.
:- harry

Some people automaticaly say "NO, don't mix species" but, a Mud turtle or Musk turtle is a excellent addition to a tank with basking species such as sliders and cooters.
They help to clean up food that hits the bottom of the tank and they help add a little "depth" to the tank. A lot of times with baskers you will see them spending most of their time near the top of the tank or basking. Most not all. Now, when you add a bottom dweller such as a mud or musk it allows for "life" on the bottom of the tank also. It is pretty cool to watch cruising the bottom. I have found that muds will spend more time basking then musk turtles but less then cooters and sliders. They really prefer an area where they can rest just below the surface of the water with maybe the very top of their shell exposed. This can be accomplished by something as simple as a limb to a special basking platform to a shelf.
But to answer your question...YES you can put it in with the other turtles without fear of problems between the species
AFTER PROPER QUARANTEEN.
Jimmy (draybar)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Turtle Forum ]